HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN SALAD

Thursday, August 28, 2014



We just spent a week in Michigan and let me tell you when I say Penelope is an angel baby. We had a six hour flight with a layover included AND woke up this girl at 3am and she didn't cry. Not once. I was so scared of our first flight with her and she handled it like a pro. Throughout the week we did at least an hour of driving back and forth and seriously...I kid you not when I say Penelope cried only a few times the whole week. She's so flexible and sweet.

Now she's running and loves to run back and forth endlessly. I found that going on vacation with a baby isn't really what I would consider a vacation. No relaxing, or mindlessly flipping through magazines, or sipping margaritas on the beach. Our vacation was spent running after Penelope, putting her to sleep, driving, stressing about what she was going to shove in her mouth, making sure all the younger kids didn't freak her out, cooking her meals...you get the picture. 

In retrospect I realize that I'm even more exhausted of making sure she didn't do things I would normally let her do so people didn't think I was a horrible parent. Like eating a card, or letting her explore everything on her own. I spent a lot more time worrying about what she was doing, so as not to give anyone the impression that I was the poster child for bad parenting.

Then towards the end of the trip I realized what people perceive me to be as a parent and what I actually am will sometimes be polar opposites. Because I know I'm a fantastic parent and I know the reason why I let her do the things she does, and not do the things she doesn't. And I have to be comfortable with that perception. So I let her gnaw on a playing card...the worst that will happen is she will poop out an Ace. 

Public perception rarely equals the reality. What you think of me or my parenting isn't my business. Once I realized that, the last two days I was able to relax so much more. Penelope ate some sand, and half a playing card. She moseyed around in the living room on her own and low and behold...she is fine! Ahhhh vacations!

Pre-flight selfie. Yes that look is fear of the unknown :)


This recipe was invented by me due to the need for something easy for dinner and something super healthy. I like to make tons of chicken at once and save it for future salads or meals.

QUICK TIPS
1. Buy clearance meat to save money and cook it the same day
2. Make yummy rice with the leftovers in the pan. Just add 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of stock with some salt and pepper. Nothing goes to waste!
3. Pre-cut your veggies to make an even quicker process the next nights.


pre-cook process


DRESSING
1 tbsp Honey Mustard
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Lemon Juice
Dash salt and pepper

SALAD
1 pack of chicken breast organic
2 handfuls of spring salad mix organic
1/4 red onion sliced
1 cup cabbage shredded
1/4 thinly sliced cucumber
1/4 cup dried cranberries
Tomatoe
Boiled egg
1/3 cup feta cheese
2 tbsp coconut oil
Lemon pepper
Salt

DIRECTIONS
Mix together dressing ingredients in separate bowl. Set aside. Sprinkle generous amount of lemon pepper on uncooked chicken and 1 tsp of salt. Heat up 2 tbsp of coconut oil in large pan. When oil is hot, place chicken on pan side by side. When chicken no longer sticks to pan, turn it over and sprinkle generously with more lemon paper and a dash of salt. Cover and cook until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken from pan and set on plate, set aside.

Using large bowl throw all other unused ingredients in top with dressing and use your hands to lightly mix. DO NOT SQUEEZE!

Use fork to shred chicken into little pieces and top over salad.

Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment